I prefer to smoke meat than cook them in any others way. Meats are always better when they are burning. Smoking was the traditional way of preserve meats. Although there is so many others way to keep them fresh but burning still be the best choice. You will find the best of meats by smoking them. It brings a unique taste, rich flavour, and great texture when they are burned well, and the meat melts off the bone. Therefore, smoking is accessible and always be favourite.
How to smoke meat? It’s too easy. Choose the best of meats, rub or brine your meats before you start to burn them than tobacco by using a charcoal grill or high-tech electric smoker, and choose the woods that pairs well with your meats. There are a variety of woods, and each of them brings the different flavour. Smoke them on low even heat for few hours until the meat melts off the bone, and it’s smoked perfectly.
Here some tips to smoke your meats perfect and how does smoking meat work
1. Setting Up a Smoker
Of course, you need a smoker to smoke. There are many types of equipment designed for smoking that will make the process smoother and more comfortable. But the result will be different if you burn your meat by using charcoal grill or woods. These types of smoker have each advantage.
- Wood smoker; Hardwood blocks and chips fuel them. This type of wood will bring the intense flavour of the smoking meat. However, using the wood smoker is tricky and required your attention to keep them and the temperature steady. But the result will be appropriate, and you will get your smoking meat full of flavour.
- Charcoal Smoker; this is one of the best choices for both beginners and experts. A mixture of charcoal and wood fuels them. Charcoal smoker is more relaxed than a wood smoker. It burns longer and steadier. So, you don’t need to monitor. You can make a charcoal smoker in your backyard and enjoy smoking meat with your family and friends.
- Electric smoker; well, It’s super easy for you. This electric smoker will help to smoke your meat just in the simple way. Just put the meat inside and leave them for hours until it’s done. Although this electric smoker is practical enough, it tends more expensive, and the result will be lack of flavour.
- Gas smoker; a gas smoker is also easy to use. Because gas smoker don’t need to monitor the temperature during the day. You can leave them while you are watching television or doing others. But the result is not flavorful like using charcoal or wood smoker.
2. Choose proper type of wood to use
Like I said above that there are a variety of woods and each of them brings the unique flavour to the meat. These types of woods add a unique flavour to your smoked meats.
- Mesquite; mesquite has strong smoky taste and make your chicken delicious. If you want to use mesquite, cut the meat into smaller pieces because the more significant cut requires a long day cooking. You can mix mesquite with a milder type of wood.
- Hickory; hickory is like mesquite, it has a strong flavour. This is best for red meat.
- Oak; oak has a subtler taste than mesquite and hickory, so it is suitable for thick red beef that needs long time cooking.
- Apple; if you want something sweet for you smoked turkey, try to use apple wood. It brings fresh taste and delicious into the smoked meat. Applewood is good pairs for pork or poultry and fish.
- Maple; maple is another sweet wood that suitable for pork or chicken.
- Alder; this type of timber brings sweet taste and mild flavour. It is perfect pairs for poultry and fish.
- Cherry; if you want to smoke beef, I recommended to use this cherry wood. This is an ideal partner for beef and pork.
3. Use the wet or dry smoking method
There are two methods of smoking, damp smoking or dry smoking. The water can be used to control the temperature of a smoker. If you smoke the thick cut of meat that needs many hours of cooking you need some water to help regulate the temperature. Some smoker designed with incorporate water into the process. But don’t be a worry, you can also smoke using water in charcoal or wood smoker. Just put a pan of water inside the smoker and make sure that it stays full of the smoking. On the other hands, if you are smoking smaller pieces of meat, you don’t need to use water. If you buy a smoker, remember to read the instruction before you are going to using water.
4. Soak wood chips
Sometimes you need to use wood chips when you are smoking by using a charcoal grill or another type of smoker where the wood not as fuel. These wood chips are using instead of big pieces. As we know that wood pieces tend to burn quicker than the bigger one, so you need to soak them for keeping them longer. Soak in water then wrap them with aluminium foil.
Well, it’s time to try! have your best-smoked meats and enjoy it.